James Aaron Curtis

Degree/Year: English, 2011
Company: McLaren Greater Lansing
Position: Marketing Manager 
City/State: Lansing, Michigan

I manage a team of marketing specialists to develop and implement marketing and communication strategies for hospital service lines, departments, and physician practices specific to each business unit’s needs for success and growth.

Creativity never sleeps, so put yourself in a position to succeed.

One of the most prevalent lessons I have learned from MSU was also one of my rst. During a class with Dr. Alfred Goodson, an English professor and mentor of mine, he provided examples of communications written by top-level business executives that were riddled with spelling, grammatical, and even ethical errors in order to stress the importance of communicating clearly, concisely and professionally. I have found in my experience this lesson not only serves as the base for professional reputation and relationship-building, but is often altogether ignored in favor of saving time, or worse – indifference.

Be versatile, especially if you’re interested in a career in marketing. It’s no longer enough to specialize in any one aspect. Creativity never sleeps, so put yourself in a position to succeed by knowing the ins and outs of your business and never stop learning new skills.