To be admitted to the M. A. program on regular status, an applicant must have:
- A baccalaureate degree in English or a related field
- Completed a minimum of 20 semester credits in English courses, exclusive of freshman composition, with a minimum GPA of 3.50
- Completed two years of study in a foreign language at the college level
We accept applications for admission to the Masters or the Doctor of Philosophy degree program in English starting on October 1 until December 15. Admission is for the following fall semester. We do not accept applicants for spring admission.
To be considered for admission either to the Masters or the Doctor of Philosophy degree program in English, an applicant must complete an online application (Domestic Student Application or International Student Application) (Code 1017 for MA and 0647 for PhD) by December 15.
In this online system, you must upload the following:
- A writing sample that reflects aptitude for critical and scholarly writing (approximately 20 – 25 pages).
- A personal statement (750 – 1000 words), in which you narrate how you arrived at your decision to pursue a graduate degree in English at Michigan State University. Describe how your personal background, experience, history, and any challenges you have encountered have informed this decision.
- An academic statement (750 – 1000 words), including a description of the Field(s) and/or Cross-Field(s) Areas of Inquiry you wish to pursue in the Department of English at Michigan State University.
- A curriculum vita.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty acquainted with your scholarly work and qualified to comment upon your suitability for graduate study. When you create your profile for the online application, you will be asked to submit the contact information of your three recommenders. They will then automatically receive a link with information on how to upload their letters to the system. Be sure to create your profile well in advance of the December 15 deadline, so that your recommenders can send their letters before that deadline, as well.
Applicants must also send hard copies or electronic versions of the following materials (addresses below):
- Official transcripts. We do not accept scanned copies or copies uploaded by the applicant. Transcripts must be original and sent from the school via mail or email only.
- GRE scores (General Test only)
- *International Students Only: TOEFL or IELTS scores
Mailing and Email Address:
Department of English
Attn: Marina Valli
Wells Hall C634
619 Red Cedar Rd
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
PLEASE NOTE: Application fee must be submitted to the Office of Admissions, 250 Administration Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
Please direct general inquiries about the admissions process or the program to Associate Chair of Graduate Studies, Professor Zarena Aslami(firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please direct questions regarding the receipt or status of your application materials or if you are having trouble with the online application system, to Student Secretary, Marina Valli (email@example.com).