Eliot Jaynes-Colburn – Penchant for Film & Writing

How would you describe your time as an English or Film Studies major at MSU?

Though I did not spend all of my time in university attending MSU,  I would say that my years and experience within the College of Arts and Letters has been an excellent one. I’ve been able to pursue my interests in both film and writing through the support of the many staff and students I’ve had the opportunity to work with.

Which classes, instructors, or experiences particularly stand out for you and why? How did they prepare you for the next phase of your life?

Though I’ve had many wonderful professors throughout my years at MSU, a few of the most standout instructors have been: Jordan Schonig, Hannah Ensor, Justus Nieland, Peter Johnston, Divya Victor, Megan Giddings, and Mikki Kresbach. I know that is an extensive list, which still excludes some great professors I’ve had, but these specific people truly helped shape my experience at MSU into an excellent opportunity for growth.

What coursework-related projects were/are you working on this year, and what interests or excites you about them? 

Working with Professor Johnston for my Independent Study has been a great experience despite the challenges presented by virtual learning. We have worked together to begin the process of creating a short film, which I already feel very excited for.

What are your hopes and aspirations, post-graduation? 

I hope that, a few years down the line, I can secure a job related, in some form, to my interests that pays more than minimum wage.

If you’re interested in doing so, please reflect a bit on the strange experience of being a graduating senior during the ongoing pandemic. What resources have been most useful to you in navigating this unprecedented situation?

Graduating, and attending my senior year, during a pandemic has been an interesting and challenging experience. Adjusting to virtual learning was absolutely strange and it still feels disappointing to lose that personal interaction that is so integral to the creative arts. Despite that, and the anxiety of graduating into an unstable economy, I’m hopeful that graduation will bring new and exciting experiences.